As summer was upon us earlier than expected I decided to have a look through my pattern stash to see if I had anything I could make myself and came up with one that looked promising.
Pattern used: I used Simplicity 7363 (which includes trouser, shorts, skirt, top and shirt options)
Fabric used: stash busting using some black poly cotton fabric that I have had for about a year.
Size cut: I cut a size 14 and then altered the pattern to fit.
Pattern Changes I made: Front reduced the crutch seam by 1cm and added
1cm to the side seam.
Back reduced the crutch seam by 1cm and added
1.5cms to the side seam.
Waistband added 5cms to the overall length, done in
the same amounts as above for the front and
The length of the shorts was increased by 4cms as I like to cover my thighs.
I did omit the button holes as I didn't add the drawstring just elastic all the way around the waist. I left a gap in the waistband which I hand stitched once the elastic was in place.
Time taken: I made a toile (mock up) of the shorts first to get the fit correct. I then made a new pattern from the toile before cutting into my main fabric. The toile took a few days to complete as it isn't easy to fit on yourself.
Once the changes had been transferred to a new pattern I made the shorts in about 6 hours from start to finish.
I like the outcome of this pattern and the instructions were easy to follow. The fit of the shorts is still not perfect but it is ok enough for me to wear them. I like that they have deep pockets so you don't have to constantly worry about losing items from them.
Sorry forgot to add the finished picture
|The finished shorts|
|Me trying to pose|